Friday, October 1, 2010

Fringe / Season 3 - Episode 2

I'm throwing Fringe into the following category, "Television shows that know how to follow up a premiere episode". For the past few years I've found that that doesn't happen all that often. I really thought that this episode delivered. So far this fall, Dexter, The Event, and now Fringe have kept my interest right out of the gate. I believe that Fringe could go any direction at the moment and it would still be interesting and quite thought provoking.




First off, Altlivia (Alternate Olivia) is so screwed. There's no way she'll be able to keep up appearances and fool Water, Broyles, and especially Peter, for very long. She's constantly making little mistakes here and there and Peter and company are aware that there was a second Olivia. It's not like the thought of a fake spy Olivia isn't something they could conceive. Again, she's so very screwed. I mean, come on... no photographic memory like our Olivia? No knowledge of previous cases or personal history? What about her sister or niece? Oh okay, even if she did master all of that. I think we're forgetting something, oh right, Cortexaphan. Totally screwed.

Newton was even trying to get Altlivia familiar with pop culture. I have to say though, I love how they didn't just drop the whole Newton storyline. Nice seeing him back. Although they need to give the fans some information on this guy. We find out that he's been there for a lot of years, gathering research. Although Altlivia is still his superior, as she states. I just want to see some history on the guy, give me some substance and a real reason to hate him, if there is one. Maybe by the end of this season we'll start to feel for the other side. I know I'm already starting to after what our Walter has caused over there, and for personal gain might I add.

So, Walter now completely owns Massive Dymanics. I saw that coming when the scene began with the man reading out Bell's wishes. I love it. Didn't even theorize about that during the hiatus this summer, but it was a nice surprise. I hope this takes center stage this season. I want Walter to take control of Massive Dynamic and use the technology and money to do even greater things to protect the people he cares about. I think it would be pretty sweet if, perhaps next season, we shed the Boston Harvard lab and start working solely at Massive Dymanic. Change is good. That's why I enjoyed the premiere of Dexter so much. It's nice to see a show evolve and not be afraid of taking risks. Lost did excellent because of that reason.

I haven't even begun to discuss the actual storyline of the episode. A freaky machine is dug up out of the ground, which is strange in itself that it was buried under a house. It generates some type of super-sonic sound that leaves anyone near in a catatonic state, and eventually kills them, apparently sometimes with a little exploding head action. Oh, also, just want to throw this out there, if anyone wasn't sure if Altlivia was truly bad, she murders a deaf dude to keep her cover just to prove that she still is an evil bitch. Just wanted to point that out. Kinda blows up my previous theory that maybe Altlivia would go to our side and our Olivia to theirs. Anyways, this machine ends up being related to the crazy machine from last seasons finale episode. I guess I forgot that there were pieces missing, had no idea they were in our dimension though. I believe someone asked this in the episode already, but how did those pieces end up in our dimension, and why?

Lots of mysteries still yet to solve, which is exactly what I love about Fringe. I am also pretty confident that a lot of those mysteries will be solved as this season progresses. Unlike previous seasons where there are a lot of unrelated freak-of-the-week episodes, I have a strange feeling we won't see all that many of those. I think the writers are going to try to tie it all together, it can't be that hard, Lost did it just fine. Previous seasons have had episodes that, for me at least, didn't fit in with the overall story, but were still entertaining in their own right. I can understand though that for the first season where you're still getting to know everyone and what they do. This season however, I hope they keep it straight on course with whatever the writers plans are for this year. I'm excited to see what happens next though! So far so great. Anyone else out in internet-land have any thoughts on this episode? Or the show in general? Please comment below, I'd really appreciate it.

3 comments:

  1. I thought this episode was awesome!! and the season looks like it's kinda turning out like smallville season 4 was where they try to find all the stones to make them whole but instead of stones it's machine parts in this show :) I'm really excited to find out what the machine will actually do once it's complete and who knows where the show will take us once it is and that's the breauty of it :D the uncharted territory

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Brad check it out, a famous person commented on my Dexter post. That's right, Colleen from Jay and Jack lol anywho, yes yes, good point about the Smallville stuff. Never thought of it that way but I think you're dead on, it's very much like those stones. You got your wish though, I remember you mentioning that you wanted to know about that machine and it looks like it's a big part of the show! I wasn't 100% sure if it was just a finale thing, you know? Glad it's back and things are well, heating up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i'm really glad as well :) without walter though this show wouldn't be all that different from alot of other shows but he's a very unique main character to tv and the actor is awesome to watch he can be so upset and another moment so uplifting however he always has that hint of fear in him that he'll be locked away again thank god he has his son though they are in quite the rough spot at the moment...next week we should be seeing more our olivia hopefully and i do like that new cabbie guy he's no one special as far as we know be that makes him easier to trust he isn't some wacko evil guy or something for once...anyways i think this season is becoming more "darker" like things are almost at there boiling point and that just makes things more exciting it's like any moment all hell can break loose in the fabric of dimensions or whatever

    ReplyDelete