Sunday, September 26, 2010

Shows I've found on Netflix Canada

I'm quite shocked at all the negativity I've seen so far about the selection we Canadians get for Netflix. Why bother with a service like Netflix if you don't have a wide array of genres that you like. I do agree that they need more, but there is definitely a lot of good stuff to watch currently to hold me over. I'm going to list all the movies and shows that are available on Netflix that you may have not noticed were even there.


First off, I'm loving how I can simply click an icon to go straight to Netflix on my PS3. No disc required. The interface is pretty basic but gets the job done. I do wish it had a few more features though, I had to search for most of these movies and shows because they were tucked away, hidden. As I said in my previous Netflix post, if they don't do regular updates at least once every week or so, then maybe this service won't turn out so good. $7.99 a month is cheap, but most people would probably go back to free torrent downloads unless the Netflix database at least tries to toss new stuff our way.

Here are the television shows I've found on Netflix so far, some were thrown at me in suggestions based on shows I said I liked, while others I had to do a lot of searching for. There are also a lot of British comedies and such if you're into that kind of thing. Faulty Towers and the like. Also should mention that there are children shows galore, some of those are even available in HD to my surprise. Pingu ftw!

Hoarders: Season 1
Dead Like Me: Season 1 & 2
Heroes: Season 1, 2, 3, & 4 / All episodes in HD
Madmen: Season 1, 2, & 3 / All episodes in HD
Weaponology: 13 Episodes
Paranormal State: Season 1, 2, 3, & 4
Monk: Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 / All episodes in HD
Hawthorne: Season 1 / Available in HD
LA Ink: Vol. 1 & 2 / Vol. 2 is in HD
Criss Angel Mindfreak: Season 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5
The First 48: Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9
The L Word: Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 / Season 1, 5, & 6 are in HD
Dog The Bounty Hunter: Vol. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & the Best Of
Jon & Kate Plus Eight: Season 1, 2, 3, & 4 / Season 3 and 4 are in HD
Intervention: Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7
Gene Simmons: Family Jewels: Season 1, 2, 3, & 4
Highlander: Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6
Future Weapons: Season 1
Man vs. Wild: Collection 1 & 2
Deadliest Catch: Season 1, 2, & 3 / Season 3 is in HD
Lots and lots of episodes from Extreme Engineering on Discovery. Almost all of them available in HD

Now for the movies. That television list is a lot bigger than I originally thought actually. Netflix did launch with an insane amount of content to begin with in my opinion. I've read a handful of reviews and online discussions about how the Canadian launch failed miserably because of a lack of content. I understand the US Netflix archive is much more robust, but I also understand how hard it is for Netflix to move their program over to Canada. Anyways, here is the (probably huge) list of movies that I've either seen, heard of, or have in my imaginary queue (we don't have an official queue over here yet!) I'll also list whether they are available in HD or not. The HD actually looks really great for a streaming service. Really great.

Mad Max HD
Ultra Violet HD
Cool World HD
Superbad HD
American History X HD
Bulletproof Monk HD
Robin Hood: Men In Tights HD
Gattaca
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Cheech and Chong: Up In Smoke HD
Dark City HD
Kung Fu Hustle
Donnie Darko (Damn, no HD for this one!)
Snatch HD
Reservoir Dogs
American Psycho
Taxi Driver HD
Saw
Mercury Rising HD
12 Monkeys HD
Dune HD
The Wizard HD (Nice, gotta watch this one yet, haven't seen it since I was a kid)
Lucky Number Slevin HD
Waiting... HD
Shaun of the Dead HD (probably watching this tonight, never seen it before, heard good things)
Lord of War HD
Fletch HD
Dazed and Confused HD
Stir of Echoes
The Ninth Gate HD
Spun
Glory HD
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Mystery Men HD
U-571 HD
Last Action Hero HD
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story HD
Rumble in the Bronx
The Replacement Killers (Wish this one was in HD, love this movie)
Resident Evil: Extinction HD
In the Name of the King HD
Clerks II (I have yet to see the first one so it sucks only the sequal is available right now)
Teen Wolf HD
RV HD
I Love You, Beth Cooper HD
Big Top Pee-Wee HD
Happy Endings HD
Weird Science HD
Good Luck Chuck HD
Guess Who HD
Housesitter HD
Bewitched HD
National Lampoon's Van Wilder
Crocodile Dundee 2 HD (Where's the first one??)
The Secret of My Success HD
Weekend at Bernie's 2 HD (Again, where's the first one?)
Ringmaster
Jackie Chain: Kung Fu Master HD
Street Fighter: The Lenend of Chun-Li HD (Ugh, at least it's in HD?)
Bad Boys HD
Charlie's Angels
A Knight's Tale HD
Unleashed HD
Mr. Nice Guy
Congo
The Scorpion King HD (Hope they get the first two Mummy movies on here someday soon)
Backdraft HD
A Man Apart HD
Cellular HD
Virtuosity HD
Blade: Trinity HD (I love this movie, but the first two are better, gimme those ones!)
The Condemned HD
Animals HD (The first movie I watched on Netflix, stars Naveen Andrews as the baddy)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day HD (Give me the rest from that series of movies please)
Air Force One HD
Babe: Pig in the City HD
National Lampoon's Senior Trip
About Schmidt HD
Being John Malkovich HD
To Die For HD
Super Size Me HD
Bowling for Columbine HD
Traffic HD
Slumdog Millionaire HD
A Beautiful Mind HD
Cruel Intentions HD
Monster's Ball
Boogie Nights HD
The Thing Red Line HD
Capote HD
We Own the Night HD
Pleasantville
The Last House on the Left HD
The Stepford Wives (1975)
The Birds HD
Red Dragon HD
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre HD (2003 Version)
House of 1,000 Corpses
Hostel: Part II HD (No Part 1 though, oh well)
Captivity HD
Cabin Fever
Freddy vs. Jason HD
Final Destination 2 HD
Warlock
Warlock: The Armageddon
See No Evil HD
The People Under the Stairs HD
Child's Play HD
Halloween II HD
Leprechaun
Lost in Space HD
Waterworld HD
Johnny Mnemonic
Dragonheart HD
Primer HD
The Final Cut
The Butterfly Effect HD
Basic Instinct HD
Fire in the Sky HD
Lost in Translation
Memento
High School High HD
Stigmata HD
Nirvana: Teen Spirit: Interviews
The Good Shepherd HD

Okay, I've skipped hundreds upon hundreds of movies but most I haven't heard of, and I'm also tired of searching for movies. Phew, there is a lot on there, but there is of course, a lot missing from Netflix as well. I'm excited for Netflix's first content update, as well as how much they throw on (or take away)

I hope this post helped some people out there find what they were looking for. There is much much more than what I've posted here, these are just the things I've seen or heard of from my personal experience. There are also seasons of Spongebob, and other kids shows. Documentaries. Foreign films. Even a light dose of Anime.

I'm also working on including links, within this post, to all the shows I've mentioned.

Here is a link to my second Netflix content post, enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I tried rob signing up on netflix with this here labtop but they do not take debit cards only credit cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't take Paypal? I know Paypal takes debit cards just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe this list covers every good thing on netflix Canada and then some. Most of which I've already seen. Still, it is probably worth it for the first month anyway.

    Next month? I expect the same selection except I'll have already watched anything that interested me.

    There is a lot on there, unfortunately 99% of it is media that even low quality cable channels wouldn't broadcast anymore. Not that netflix carries classic shows that you can't find on tv anymore. It's old shows and movies that weren't popular when they were on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting Anonymous. I do agree with what you're saying, but for a measly $8 a month it's definitely worth the price. Because of Netflix I've been able to watch movies like Blade, Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny, Office Space, and American Psycho. A few of those I hadn't seen before. All also available in HD.

    It's just so easy to turn on my PS3 and throw on a movie or tv show. The content will just keep getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you posted this a while back, I was simply trying to find at least a summary of what they do have to offer. It would be super helpful if they had a detailed list on their website (I couldn't find one, maybe there is?) But I suppose that's a good way to have someone try the free trial. Anyway, I'm a gamer and a comp geek who barely watches tv at all. I'm a movie whore however =P I do enjoy the occasional tv show, but I usually end up buying the seasons (on sale always ;D) because I can never bother to keep track of when things are on, I like to watch on my own terms.

    In any case, I'd like to see a better list of tv shows. I'm closing on my new home in nov when that time comes I'll prob try out the trial, I'm crossing my fingers they'll have a better list.

    Thanks for the insight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Valerie, thanks for the excellent comment. I haven't done a content update in a little while, mostly because they haven't added anything too significant that I've been excited about. I really appreciate the comment though.

    Here are a few links you may find interesting. This is the official website and there is a complete list of all the content, but ...I noticed recently that I wasn't able to view it unless I was currently paying for service, which is extremely dumb. The second link however, is an awesome RSS feed that is constantly updated with all the new content as it comes out. Check it out.

    - http://ca.netflix.com/Signin?nextpage=http%3A%2F%2Fca.netflix.com%2FWiHome

    - http://ca.netflix.com/NewWatchInstantlyRSS

    ReplyDelete
  7. you should wright down all the tv shows ... for me and my kid....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanx for this list,, I appreciate it.

    On the same note it absolutely amazes me that Netflix does not have and A-Z list. To me it is a total blunder on their behalf to not have this.

    It really makes no sense to me that it is a blind search when the selection itself is quite limited, even at this moment I am baffled beyond belief that no A-Z list is available...

    I do have Netflix and for the $8/month I am satisfied enough with it but it would be sooooo much better with an A-Z list per genre. It would be better for Netflix to as their customers would be much more satisfied with the selection when they actually know what that selection is.

    I know Im going on and on about this but its just so nonsensical to not have it. Its not even hard for them to do! Programming and self-automated and systematicaly updated A-Z list is sooooo easy its mind-boggling that such a list does not exist.

    As I said I appreciate your list here, but the fact that you need to make one and search by trial and error is really unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just created a blog where I'll keep the current Netflix Canada list updated (I've got a few "shortcuts" that will help me keep it updated). If I had access to the U.S. site (or an American Netflix subscriber interested in helping), I could get the U.S. list going as well.

    Take a look and let me know if it's useful to you.

    http://netflixcanadacompletelist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wish they update the search feature, you should be able to search by actor name, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the amount of work you put in to do this list is really appreciated, so thanks, keep up the good work and I hope you get blessed someway because of it. I know what it is to do a labour of love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't find half of these movies on my netflix. Even searching by letter, I don't see any of these :S Unless they are extremely hidden well D:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replying to Anonymous from Feb 14th: Most of these shows are hence removed. They expire. Check this site to find the latest additions to Netflix Canada, as well as each shows expiry date. http://www.nowstreaming.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. My newest site is netflixable.com. It has US, Canada, and UK/Ireland content listed, searchable, and sortable...all updated daily with the latest updates.

    ReplyDelete