Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thoughts / Fringe

The series follows a Federal Bureau of Investigation "Fringe Division" team based in Boston, Massachusetts under the supervision of Homeland Security. The team uses unorthodox "fringe" science and FBI investigative techniques to investigate "the Pattern", a series of unexplained, often ghastly occurrences that are happening all over the world." - Wikipedia

This show does a heck of a lot of things right. If you loved X-Files, there's a good chance you'll love this show, especially once it gets into the meat and potatoes.

The first handful of episodes, maybe about 8 or 9, I found to be pretty slow, especially watching them recently for a second time. Once you get into the episodes featuring Mr. Jones, things really pick up and get wildly interesting. Even when the show is talking about interrogating dead guys, and reading images from an eyeball, Fringe finds a way to surprise me. Teleportation, time-travel, and alternate dimensions, Fringe covers all the big sci-fi topics.

From Phillip Broyles to Charlie Francis. I really love all the characters in Fringe. Walter Bishop probably being my favorite. At times he serves as the comic relief, but most times he unknowingly becomes the center of the bio-terrorist activities. Which makes for some amazing moments when the viewer finds out how involved Walter really is.





Peter seems to be a much more important character in season 2 and going on towards season 3. Which is a good thing. His character wasn't used all that much in season 1 once he didn't really have to babysit his father as much.

Olivia Dunham is a tough FBI agent, and more often than not the main character of the show. At first she's just going along for the ride, trying to solve any and every mystery that comes her way. Eventually though, she takes center stage and becomes even more important to the main mythology of the show. When Olivia was a child she was part of an experiment in Jacksonville, Florida. As Fringe progresses she steadily learns how special she really is.

Season 2 started a bit slow out of the gate, just as I thought season 1 did. But I understand why they needed to write it that way. You need to get all the viewers, new and old, on the same page before unleashing serious mythology episodes. They need to make sure they don't lose anybody while telling great stories.

They also had that musical dream episode in season 2 that I'm not really that fond of, I didn't think it fit into a show like this. That episode was about Walter though, and we all know how random the thoughts in his head can be, poor guy. I'm expecting a bit of a slow start in season 3, although I am excited to see what happens after the crazyness that went on at the end of season 2. I don't even think filler episodes are going to be as bland this time around, as long as they keep up with the theme that ended season 2.

Mark your calenders for September 23rd, season 3 of Fringe starts up. Odd numbered episodes and even numbered episodes are going to play a role this season, at least for the first half of 22 episodes. If you watched season 2 you should have a good idea of what that means. It's a strange way to run a show, but I hope it works out great. I'm looking forward to it!

5 comments:

  1. this is one of my favorite shows but due to the fact that it is on late for me i dont get to see it often enough. bob what do you think of walter? i like his character because he is so child like and most of the things that come out of him end up being funny even though he is usually talking about something he considers serious. maybe thats why i like him. anyway keep up the good work bob. loving it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Maryann
    I think Fringe is in my top 5 favorite shows of all time. They've done a few things I didn't really like that much, like how they handled the character of Charlie Francis. But as I said above, they do a lot of things right to keep people watching. I still remember how shocked I was when Mr. Jones teleported out of jail, crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey rob how far are ya into season 1? i'm getting a little more excited for season 3 as i'm very curious about what they've planned with the two alternate world story hope it turns out awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eli and I did a serious Fringe marathon and went to about episode 14, right when things start to get really interesting. As I'm sure you read above, I found most of the stuff before this pretty slow and a lot of it was filler (besides the episode where Mr Jones escapes prison, freakin awesome that was)

    ReplyDelete
  5. On a side note Brad, Eli really loves the show.

    ReplyDelete