Thursday, September 23, 2010

Netflix for PS3

As of a couple days ago, Netflix is finally available in Canada! Once I found out that you get the first 30 days completely free, I signed up. I've had my PS3 for a couple years now and usually illegally download my movies and TV shows. Mostly because I'm limited in my cable TV options and I really hate commercials, as well as watching a standard definition picture on an HDTV. Now that Netflix is available on my PS3 (it's disc-less too!) in the near future I may not have much use for my current PC.




Netflix has been available in the U.S. for a long time now, at least a few years that I'm aware of. I've had friends on my Playstation Network friends-list who have told me how great a service it was, and that I should get it as soon as it becomes available. Well it's here finally, and I snapped it up right away. So far I've been watching movies, documentaries and television shows for hours now. It's 3:00am and I just had to write about it.

To sign up all you need to do is go to the website here and fill out an application thingy. You'll need a credit card, but you won't be billed anything for 30 days. You get a completely free trial period to test out the service and it's very easy to set up. It didn't take me longer than 10 minutes I don't think. Once the trial period is over it's only $7.99 a month from there on out. I was looking to see if I was limited in what I could watch but I didn't find any such thing, $7.99 is insanely cheap for what you get. Watch whatever you want, when you want. Oh, also, it was really easy it set up on my PS3, it only took seconds to download the Netflix application, then just sign in with your username and password and you're set to go.

The application is accessible from the Video tab on the PS3's XMB. Once you load it up you wait maybe 15 seconds and you're in, ready to pick what you want to watch. When you set up your account for the first time you're asked to finish a couple quick questionnaires about what you like to watch. When I loaded up Netflix for the first time I noticed that it had "Suggestions For You" which were obviously compiled from the questionnaire. It wasn't the most accurate to begin with, but once you start watching a few things this list grows and I've found a couple things worth checking out that I would have probably missed without this system.

So far I've watched a movie called Animals, which was actually pretty damn good for a low budget movie. "After sleeping with Nora, a sexy stranger passing through town, Syd Jarrett undergoes a supernatural transformation that plunges him into a new reality and sparks conflict with Vic, Nora's angry ex-lover who behaves more like an animal than a man." It stars Nicki Aycox, Marc Blucas, Naveen Andrews (which is why I watched it in the first place), Eva Amurri, Andy Comeau, and Bart Johnson. I really enjoyed it for my first movie, it was also in very good quality, much better than a regular DVD, but not quite as good as a full HD blu-ray. I didn't expect anything on here to be HD though so it was a welcome surprise.

I checked out a couple quick shows in the anime category and might try some again some other time. I did however watch a few really good documentaries. Some movie length and some episodic. Like "What are Dreams?", "Future Weapons", and "Becoming Human". I have yet to finish that last one as it's getting really late. I then started using the search category and I've found some crazy things! How about some Cheech and Chong in HD? Crazy right? Or the actor that plays Commander Riker on Star Trek TNG, he plays a time traveler who goes through different time periods and explains biblical events in a PBS special. I just found that pretty funny, and it made me realize how great Netflix could be.

There are so many foreign films and genre's that I would have never thought about browsing, but some of these movies are sure to be worth checking out. Lots of them in HD with 5.1 Dolby surround sound too. How about Machine Girl? This seems like a very low budget Japanese movie, perhaps made by college students or something. I'm gonna do my best to find a clip from this movie to post below. I only watched the first 10 minutes or so, but it was extremely funny and quite shocking at times.

As long as Netflix updates their catalog at a decent rate, then I could see myself paying for this service for years to come. They have television shows like Madmen, Monk, The first 48, Heroes, and Highlander. If they add some more big name shows like Chuck, Lost, Supernatural, and Dexter, then I will be even more impressed. As it is tonight though, right after the Canadian launch, it is certainly worth a measly $10 a month. I feel like I'd be losing money if I canceled, really. Too great of a deal to pass up.



8 comments:

  1. if i had a credit card (only own a debit) i would at least try out the 30day free trial but keep me updated on any interesting new shows or really awesome movies that you see in the future as down the road when i eventually get a credit card perhaps i'll pay for the service

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep you updated man, thanks for commenting. That Animals movie is worth checking out, watch that trailer at least. What did you think of the Machine girl trailer? lol funny eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. So I think part of the reason your HD wasn't as clear as you'd think it would have been is because the resolution adjusts based on your internet connection. I know your connection is a little slower so that may be why it didn't look as nice, although its only 720p (from the disc at least) anyway. Animals has been in my queue for a long time now lol. Maybe I'll watch it now. Also so is Machine Girl lol. There are a few seasons of Dexter on there to stream already too, just not the newest seasons. There is new stuff added but some stuff gets taken away at times for streaming as well. It just kind of depends but you can see when stuff will be going or coming on your queue from the PC. One movie on there I recommend is "Restraint". Its good and the guy that plays Bill on Trueblood is in it. I couldn't recognize him at first, it took a longer scene with him in it to be sure before I confirmed it on IMDB. Your queue can also only hold 500. mine is constantly full. Lol. I've been watching all the old Xena episodes lately. I'm on season 2. Mostly just want to see Bruce Cambpells appearances. If you want any good suggestions let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad, you can use a debit card most likely. I use my Bank of America Visa debit card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestion Marc but our Netflix is a lot different than yours, also thanks for commenting. Um.. we don't have Xena but I will check for that movie Restraint. Also, we don't have queue's or w/e, I just browse through the shows and movies and pick one to play. The quality is good but nothing close to a true blu-ray. My connection here is actually good, the highest I've seen it download on a torrent is about 1.8 mb/s which is pretty nuts. Usually it's around 500 kb/s though, which is still fast. Anyways, I was surprised that any of them were in hd at all actually, just watched Bulletproof Monk in hd actually. Oh, and yeah Brad, check it out anyways Marc might be right, I didn't really look to see if a debit card was on thelist, I just went to Visa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. isn't that marc blucas guy from flashforward as well? yeah the machine girl looked hilarious would make a great anime lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. also i swear the music in the animals trailer is ripped off from batman begins main theme music i've seen that movie enough times to know haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure about that Marc Blucas guy hmm. You're probably right about that Animals trailer! You would know Batman :) I wish Batman was on Netflix, I'd watch the first one again. It's been a long time and I've only seen that one once.

    ReplyDelete