Friday, October 22, 2010

Supernatural / Season 4 - Part 4

This last block of episodes made season 4 that much better. I really don't see season 5 being as good as this season was. There were so many memorable episodes and scenes this season.

Dean being resurrected from the depths of hell and using his new hell-earned gift of torture here on earth. Sam going almost fully darkside, keeping important secrets from his brother, just to be become stronger than Lilith. There was also the introduction of Heaven, God, Lucifer, and Angels. Castiel easily being my new favorite character on the show. I could go on and on but let's finally finish up this season and move onto something new, season 5. I have yet to finish watching season 5 since I quit a year ago, so technically this is almost the end of my "re-watch".







Episode 20, The Rapture (Written By: Jeremy Carver, Directed By:  Charles Beeson)

Castiel appears to Dean in a dream and says he has something important to tell him but they need to meet somewhere private. Dean and Sam go searching for Castiel but instead find Jimmy, Castiel’s human vessel, who has only a spotty recollection of being an angel. Jimmy wants to return to his family and normal life, but Dean and Sam are concerned about his safety. - Wikipedia

Dean dreams about fishing and drinking beer on the dock. Dean would just be a normal guy, living a normal life, if he wasn't thrown into being a hunter by his father. But of course, Castiel invades his dream and talks to him on the dock. Sam and Dean go to meet with Castiel, who has something extremely urgent to tell them. When they arrive though, they only find Jimmy. I have to say, Misha Collins does an amazing job playing Castiel. I didn't really realize this until you see him act as a different character, Jimmy. He's confused and by most accounts, a normal god-fearing family man. He rushes home to be with his family but of course that doesn't work out so well. Demon's come for him.

Flash-back a year ago and we see how Jimmy became the vessel for Cas. At first he couldn't handle direct contact with the angel but after a bit, he was able to withstand it. He even made Jimmy test his faith by sticking his hand in boiling water, which didn't harm him. Cas was preparing his vessel. Jimmy's story was pretty sad I thought. His family thought he was crazy and so he prayed. Cas took Jimmy's body and left, his family hadn't seen him since then.



Poor Sam. He can't get a hold of Ruby and is desperate for demon blood. While they take out a couple demons Sam takes a bite and drains some blood. That's stepping over the line, big time. Seeing that look in Dean's eyes was quite heartbreaking. Sam doesn't even bother to wipe his mouth. Maybe Gordon was right all along about Sam? That's certainly crossed my mind a few times this season.


Episode 21, When the Levee Breaks (Written By: Sera Gamble, Directed By: Robert Singer)

Dean and Bobby lock Sam in Bobby’s panic room so he can detox from the demon blood. However, as Bobby sees more seals are being broken he tells Dean they should let Sam out to help them fight the impending Apocalypse. Dean disagrees and goes to Castiel for help. Sam and Dean have a big blowout confrontation. - Wikipedia

I was reading another Supernatural blog post from another site and I had to put this quote into my own post about this episode. It was exactly the same thoughts as me. From TVGuide.com

"Some of the things that happened just stunned me. And at times (many times), it was really painful to watch because the chasm between Sam and Dean grew wider and wider. By the end, I wanted the madness to stop and I just wanted them to make up and start singing Bon Jovi in the Impala together."

I found this episode a little hard to watch. Sam was going through some serious crap with demon blood withdrawl. You can see how much it hurt Dean (and Bobby for that matter) that his brother was hardly his brother anymore. Something else was inside him and it was Sam's choice to turn out like this. Sam wanted to be powerful no matter what the consequence. As I've said before, I don't think any of the other seasons of Supernatural were anywhere near this quality of writing. Great stuff.

A little reminiscent of last season, Dean makes a deal with an angel this time. To protect Sam once again too. Dean will be called upon when needed in order to stop the apocalypse. We knew he was resurrected for a reason. This was it. Although I don't think we have all the details as of yet.

Sam escapes Bobby's lockup. How? It looks as if Castiel did it. Why the hell would he do that? What is he planning? After the last episode we know that Castiel is back full force with the angels and no longer wants to get too involved with humans. So maybe this is an order from high above? At first I thought Ruby was finally back and set him free. Shocked me quite a bit when I found out it was Cas that let him loose.

In the hotel room, Dean shows up to try and help his brother. Sam let's Ruby escape and then tries to take out Dean. I couldn't believe Sam started choking the life out of Dean in this scene. It's amazing how far this show (and the Winchester brothers) have come since season 1 and 2. I always thought those two were inseparable and now they are killing each other?

Episode 22, Lucifer Rising (Written By: Eric Kripke, Directed By: Eric Kripke)

After leaving Dean, Sam joins Ruby on a final run to kill Lilith. They kidnap Lilith's personal chef who disguises itself as a nurse, stealing newborn babies for Lilith to devour, to question her. Meanwhile, Dean is kidnapped by the angels and brought to a room without any exit where Zachariah explains to him that the angels are not trying to stop the final seal from being broken—in fact, they want to start the Apocalypse, for it will cleanse the earth and bring Paradise. So Dean's task is not stopping the Apocalypse from starting, but ending it once it has. Dean is furious at Castiel for deceiving him, and Castiel reluctantly reveals that Lilith's death will break the final seal and sends Dean to St. Mary's Convent where Sam is just using his powers to kill Lilith. - Wikipedia

I love when a series long plan comes together. You know, Azazel is shown in a flash-back, sacrificing nuns in order to speak to Lucifer. Lucifer tells him that they'll need Lilith, who's "trapped in The Pit", in order to break the seal in order to free Lucifer. They'll also need a special child. Azazel created all these super-kids and made them fight it out in order to find out who was the stronger of the bunch. Sam ended up winning and the plan seemed to come together smoothly. That's how you tell a series story properly, excellent job.

Dean was locked in a room for the entirety of the finale, well... up until the last scene. The angels told him all their secrets, even offered him beer and burgers. Probably assuming that he'd be stuck in there until the apocalypse was over and Dean could clean everything up. However, once again, Dean got through to Castiel and Cas whisked Dean away to help save the day. Although, by the time Dean arrived at the church where Lucifer was being raised, Sam had already killed Lilith and the final seal was broken. My absolute favorite part in the entire episode though, was when Sam realized what he had done, and that Ruby had betrayed him. Dean rushes in with the demon knife and goes to stab Ruby, Ruby didn't even flinch and was probably ready to take Dean out when suddenly Sam came up behind her and held her just long enough for Dean to take her out. Ruby, gone for good. This scene gave me goosebumps and was a complete mirror-image of the season 2 finale. John Winchester held up Azazel just long enough for Dean to take him out with the colt. Awesome stuff! That scene in this episode made the finale for me.

So let's see where we are now as I wrap this up. Castiel seems to be back on the Winchester's side again. Zachariah is probably pretty pissed at everyone. Ruby is gone, finally. Lilith is no more. And hell is about to open up and Lucifer will walk free. Crazyness. I've only seen up to episode 4 of season 5 and that was about a year or so ago, whenever it was on CW. I quite watching because of that Paris Hilton episode and I'm really not looking forward to it, but ...I will face my demons and get through it. I'll probably even write about it in my next article.

Anyways! Supernatural has been awesome and it's been a blast watching it with my brother. Too bad I'm almost finished with it though. I've been really thinking about getting back into Lost, it's felt like forever. I'll definitely need to take my time with Lost and make sure I do a post for every episode. I'll most likely do what the podcasters do and take notes while I watch. Alright, thanks for reading. If you love Supernatural leave a comment and let me know what you thought of season 5. All the heaven and angels stuff too.



2 comments:

  1. great wrap-up/concluding review of season 4 :) yeah season 5 has a string of awful eps starting with the paris hilton one :P but mid through things gets better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still haven't watched the Paris Hilton one lol I'm saving it for when me and my bro can watch it. He drinks so much though and when he's drinking he doesn't feel like watching anything ><

    ReplyDelete