Saturday, October 9, 2010

Thoughts / The Event

I haven't wrote all that much about The Event so far, but don't let that confuse you, I'm just having a hard time processing everything they've shown thus far. I thought this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) would be a great time to share my thoughts and theories on what's been going on with this fresh new series.




We're 3 episodes in and we've already seen so much crazyness. The way that each episode jumps around through time is very reminiscent of how Lost did things with their flashbacks. Overall I don't have an issue with it, but it can get a little frustrating at times. My parents watched 75% of the premiere episode when it first aired but gave up trying to figure out what was going on, so I don't think this type of story progression is for everyone. I can follow it just fine for the most part, but I am thankful that the last 2 episodes weren't as jumbled up with so many characters having different stories. Different stories that all unfolded within the same episode. I thought Lost did it perfectly, having character centric episodes and it seems The Event is starting to move in a similar direction.

For as long as this show is on the air, I'll probably be comparing it to Lost quite a bit. I'm finding more and more similarities as The Event goes on. In the first 3 episodes we've been shown so many intriguing mysteries (at least I thought they were intriguing) with so little answers. Who are these "people" that fell from the sky? Why are they here? How and why did the plane vanish? Why was Shaun's girlfriend taken? What the hell happened to those people that got off the plane?

Just like Jack from the Jay and Jack Lost podcast, I'm going to write about a crackpot theory. Probably a very popular theory actually, I've seen a few similar thoughts on Twitter. So far, I believe that these "sky people" are from the future. They had one chance to go back in time to prevent some event that we have yet to see. Something that will perhaps change their future for the better, or for worse if they aren't on the good guys side. Now right away I start thinking about paradox's. If they change the future then shouldn't they not exist? But I think that once they arrived back in time, they are part of that world, no matter what happens.

4 comments:

  1. yea bob, i agree with everything you said. personally i am really enjoying it. like on the last episode you see all the casualties of the crash come back from the dead. i am already so curious about what will happen next that i cant wait for the next episode. if it turns out to be anything like LOST then i think it should be a great series. lets hope eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my new favorite comment, thanks mom! I should have mentioned that you were watching it as well, but to be honest, I totally forgot! I'm glad you're enjoying it and you should really finish the 6th and final season of Lost. Guess you gotta wait for me to get the DVD though, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also enjoying the event quite a bit seems every other scene there's something crazy happening :) yeah i think they need to take it easy with the time jumping which the newest episode seemed to do perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Brad yes, the newest episode was great. They did it right imo, started with an interesting scene with Shaun helping the FBI chick, then showed how they got there and moved from there. Worked great I thought.

    ReplyDelete