Saturday, August 21, 2010

Thoughts / Dexter

"Set in Miami, the show centers on Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall), a blood spatter-pattern analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department, who moonlights as a serial killer. The show's first season was loosely based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, the first of his series of Dexter novels." - Wikipedia

Dexter is radically different than any other television show out there. The protagonist is a killer, he kills people. Not just any people though, he has rules, a code. He murders people that have done wrong, usually other murderers themselves.

This just popped into my head, but I could definitely see the show's final episode involving Dexter's suicide. He would eventually feel guilt for all the pain he's caused, usually inadvertently, to his family and friends. Perhaps the suicide would be at the hands of an inevitable sidekick which he could share his obsession with. Just a thought.

I can't remember when I started watching this show, but it was definitely during season 1. The first two seasons are my absolute favorite and I think the show has become less intense over the years, perhaps due to desensitization on my part. Watching a show centered on a serial killer is something I don't think television has ever seen before. Therefore, after a couple seasons the shock of it all tends to eventually wane.

Season 3 was pretty boring from the get go, and I couldn't get into season 4, not for lack of trying. I'm still excited to see what they do for season 5 though. I've always wanted Dexter to get a taste of a spontaneous kill (like he briefly did at the beginning of season 3) and have to try and control his urges to become a true serial killer, unlike the "hero vigilante" he is now.

Dexter, Season 5 begins on September 26th 2010, which is a Sunday. I look forward to see what happens next since some drastic changes happened at the end of the last season. Hopefully things get even more interesting from here on out.

7 comments:

  1. i like the guy the who plays dexter he's a very unique actor and i never got tired of the eerie intro :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Michael C Hall is a great actor, fits the part good I think. Although I'd like to see him angry more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty decent article. I expected a little more though. I have to disagree with a couple of points. I personally enjoyed season 3 although I can agree it was much slower than any other season. However I know you enjoyed at least most of season 4 with John Lithgow as the Trinity Killer. You seem to think the end of Season 4 was thrown in for shock effect, however there was a certain point in an earlier part of that episode which made me feel as though what happened was going to be the end. (trying not to say any spoilers) I am super psyched to see where it goes from here. I can see it picking back up this season. If not it will probably end the series. Another thing we can agree on is how awesome the first two seasons were. I've enjoyed all the series, but 3 was the low point although I still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes! john Lithgow was awesome as a bad guy i think i'll rewatch (finish) S4 as i stopped half way into it for whatever reason...has john lithgow played any other creepy dudes before dexter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Marc, I realize it wasn't the best article, I was not in a good mood at all while writing it. Also, I'll flesh *cough* it out more when I eventually get to a re-watch of the show. Hey, Marc, would you be up for a simultaneous re-watch with me sometime? Then we'd discuss it on PSN chat and I'll somehow record or write down yer thoughts for the article? Obviously having your name in there a bunch. Just a thought, good to try different stuff. I'm doing the Supernatural re-watch currently though, then it's Lost after that I think. So by the winter I'll wanna do a Dexter one I think.

    @Brad, I'm not sure. He certainly fits the role perfectly, so I'm sure he did some old movies back in the day where he was a killer or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dexter is amazing. I actually saw season 3 before anything else. I had been out of country before that and noticed my dad had on demand and Dexter was one of the available shows.

    Season 3 was good enough to watch the whole season, but not good enough to make me need to watch the first 2 seasons. Season 4 however drove me to watch the first season. It kind of ruined the first season as I knew right away some spoilers. The first season was by far the best and drove me to watch the 2nd season and rewatch the 3rd.

    After rewatching the third I realised how boring it was in comparison. I would have to say I liked season 4 better then season 2...and can't wait for season 5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Excellent comments Andy. I was a bit too harsh with this post, and it's a bit short. When the new season starts up again I'll make sure to write about it.

    I actually love Dexter but the first 2 seasons are so much better than the rest, so far anyways. I do love me some John Lithgow though, he was excellent in season 4.

    ReplyDelete