Thursday, August 26, 2010

Supernatural / Season 2 - Part 1

This is part 1 of my season 2 re-watch of Supernatural. If you haven't read my season 1 articles you can check 'em out by using the sidebar on the left of this page. Or click the label: "Supernatural" at the bottom of this article

I'll only highlight the episodes that really need it, as well as my thoughts on the best moments from each. I think I could perhaps write about every episode this season so far though, even the ones that seemed like filler had important moments.


Episode 1, In My Time Of Dying (Written By: Eric Kripke, Directed By: Kim Manners)

After the shocking car accident in the finale last season, the Winchester family are rushed to a hospital in Memphis. Dean is the first to wake up and he rushes downstairs to the reception area to try and track down his family. To his surprise he can't communicate with anyone, he rushes back to his room to find his body on life support. Dean was already pretty banged up before the car crash, things aren't looking too good for him. Perhaps his physic brother could find a way to communicate with him.

I absolutely loved this episode. This has to be one of my favorites of all time, what a way to start a season. Dean is a ghost, trying to communicate with his family. I love when Dean tries to break up the fight between Sam and their father and Dean somehow smashes a glass of water. "I full on Swayze'd that mother!" Also, Dean's response to Sam showing up with a Quija board "I feel like I'm at a slumber party."

You clearly see how much John loves his sons in this episode. He trades the Colt, and his own life, so that Dean can get better. They sure make it easy to hate the Yellow-Eyed Demon, don't they? The fact that the Demon can possess a reaper from the after-life? Pretty damn scary. I can't wait to find out more about him and his purpose. I think I've only seen season 2 a couple of times, and not in years. Don't remember all the details, so I'm excited to find out more.

Episode 2, Everybody Loves A Clown (Written By: John Shiban, Directed By: Phil Sgriccia)

After their father's death, Dean refuses to talk about it. They track an old message found on their father's phone to Harvelle's Roadhouse, a bar for hunters. There they find Ellen, who is an old friend of their dad, and Jo, her daughter. They meet a genius named Ash, and by using signs that John Winchester has gathered, he helps track down the Yellow-Eyed Demon. While Sam and Dean wait for the results, they take on a job. They discover that a Rakshasa has been taking the form of a clown and killing families.

Normally an episode about a killer clown would be complete filler, but there was a few extra bits of information we got here. With the brothers meeting the Roadhouse crew for the first time, and the cremation of their father in the beginning, this episode had some important scenes.

I found it funny when Dean was taunting Sam about his fear of clowns. Sam tried to retaliate with Dean's fear of planes. "Yeah but Plane's crash" states Dean. "Well, apparently clowns kill" replies Sam.

Dean again tries to get under Sam's skin by making him sit in the clown chair during the interview. Funny stuff. Guess you gotta keep a sense of humor when a killer clown is on the loose.

Episode 3, Bloodlust (Written By: Sera Gamble, Directed By: Robert Singer)

The brothers check out a series of decapitations and find the victims were vampires. They meet up with a hunter named Gordon Walker and decide to hunt the rest of these vampires together. Sam figures out that they aren't hurting anyone and instead draining cattle for sustenance. Sam now needs to convince his brother that Gordon is bad news.

More vampires! I really like the character of Gordon Walker. We've never seen Sam and Dean working with other hunters before, so it's nice to see something new. Too bad Gordon turns out to be a total jackass though. He does explain why he is the way he is though, vamps did take his sister. I'm sure Dean wouldn't be so different if something similar happened to him and Sam. Although I don't think Dean could kill his own brother, even if he was a vampire. I love how these writers bring up so many things to think about. One of the themes this season is Dean thinking killing Sam if he gets too powerful. So Gordon and Dean did have more in common than I originally thought when I watched the episode.

Episode 4, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (Written By: Raelle Tucker, Directed By: Kim Manners)

While Sam is burying their father's dog tags at their mothers grave, Dean notices a dead circle of grass surrounding a grave. Dean wants to check it out despite Sam thinking it's nothing suspicious. Turns out somebody raised a dead girl from the grave and now she's hunting people down.

Another episode that should be filler, but was quite enjoyable. All I want to say about the zombie-girlfriend stuff is exactly the same quote Dean gave the new boyfriend, "Haven't you ever seen Pet Cemetery?"

The underlying theme was "dead should stay dead", and this leads to Dean thinking about how their father died. After Dean's clever plan to stake the undead chick, Dean apologizes to Sam for his recent behavior. Turns out Dean isn't handling their father's death so well, as Sam suspected.

Episode 5, Simon Said (Written By: Ben Edlund, Directed By: Tim Lacofano)

After Sam witnesses another vision, this time of a murder-suicide, the brothers head to the Roadhouse to enlist Ash's help. Sam and Dean track down a man named Andy Gallagher and quickly find out that he has mind control abilities. They try to find out what connections Andy has to the Yellow-Eyed Demon.

I'm always excited for more Sam centric episodes. Anything centered on the nursery fires and children with abilities. Any episode that starts with one of Sam's visions is sure to be an episode that unveils some of the shows mythology answers. This episode featured Andy, a dude with some serious Jedi mind-trick ability. He even quotes Star Wars at one point. There was some great humor in this episode, Supernatural usually gets humor down just perfectly. Except for a couple of those episodes focused on humor.

Turns out I did write about every episode in that block, oh well. That concludes my brief thoughts on the first 5 episodes of season 2. I've currently seen about 8 episodes so far so I have more to write, but this post is pretty huge as it is. I'll continue watching more once I'm caught up with the blog posts. Thanks for reading! Please comment.

4 comments:

  1. yeah it's good to balance drama with humour but supernatural took it a little too far in the latest season at times :P anyways i really like the actor who plays yellow eyes during this season though we don't see him very often i don't think

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah? Well I do enjoy a little humor, but I prefer it to be brilliantly sprinkled into every episode, like everything I've seen so far. All of season 1 and now the first 10 or so eps of season 2 have been perfect. As I've said before I think, I do love that Groundhog Day-esque episode though. I thought it was pretty well done, you know, as pure comedy I guess. But it is a mythology one cuz it focuses on the trickster again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i like the trickster you actually find out something pretty big about him in Season 5...i also enjoy the episode mystery spot it was hilarious but also had a good thematic point at the end of it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Mystery Spot was a fun episode. I need season 3, Brad! lol

    ReplyDelete