Friday, August 13, 2010

Thoughts / The Big Bang Theory

"Set in Pasadena, California, the show is about two fictional Caltech geniuses, one an experimental physicist (Leonard Hofstadter) and the other a theoretical physicist (Sheldon Cooper), who live across the hall from an attractive blond waitress and aspiring actress (Penny). Leonard and Sheldon's geekiness and intellect are contrasted for comic effect with Penny's social skills and common sense. An aerospace engineer (Howard Wolowitz) and a particle astrophysicist (Rajesh Koothrappali) are their equally geeky and socially awkward co-workers and friends."  - Wikipedia

It was sometime during the second season when a friend told me I had to watch "Big Bang". He gave me the first episode and even though each one has a run time of only about 20 minutes, I couldn't finish it. The laugh track (where a fake audience laughs at every little joke) really threw me off, I know... I'm weird.

Jump ahead about a year. I've now been told by several people that I should really watch this show. Certain characters reminded them of people we knew. "Alright, I guess it's time to try again", I thought. I finished the entire first season in a few days and by the time it finished I had a pretty high opinion of the show. This is great stuff. I should have given it more of a chance.

I didn't think I'd write about a comedy television show on here, but after watching almost 3 seasons now, it definitely deserves to be discussed. I feel that I'm exactly the target demographic for this show. The Big Bang Theory was made for me. I constantly feel that if I grew up a little differently I wouldn't understand any of these jokes. An example would be when Leonard and Sheldon's apartment gets robbed, Sheldon names off a giant list of classic video games that were stolen to the officer on the scene. I'd say 98% of those games I own, or used to own. The officer than proceeds to write down "various video games" on the report, to Sheldon's surprise. He also expects the CSI team to be showing up at any minute to help track down his classic game collection.

Sheldon also shows some serious OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) like behavior. Some of which I relate to, most of the time he goes way above and beyond anything I could ever do though. I think I'm going to find a Youtube clip to try out the video feature in this article. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. man there's sooooo many shows i'm missing out on but i'm really enjoying your mini-reviews you really give a clear basic describtion of these shows & games etc which is great cause you want to get people into this stuff without spoiling them but also you need to get the point across...i know i keep saying this but keep it up you're doing awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vid works great and it was funny as hell he's too intelligent for his own good but he makes a good point lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dude, nah ..you're awesome for saying such nice things. I can't wait to see what this blog looks like by 2011 eh? There are a few changes I want to make. I'd like to be able to post multiple posts in a day without covering the previous ones up, not sure how I'd do that hmm ..maybe, as I've said before, split this up into 2 blogs, one for shows and one for games. That way I can publish a post from both a game and show in a day or w/e. Hmmm... Also wanna get something like www.robertchapman.ca going. I know .com is taken but .ca was open for purchase. Only for like $14 a year I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, this is my most favorite show. I like to watch this all time hit show online. I do not miss Big Bang Theory Episodes.

    ReplyDelete