Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't Own A PS3? Get One. Right Now. Before It's Too Late!

With all of the top quality PS3 games (most exclusive to the PS3) planned for 2011, you no longer have an excuse not to have a PS3 sitting in your living room. You will be laughed at and/or punched in the face if you let these excellent PS3 titles pass you by as the new year rolls on. Seriously, I'll laugh and it could get violent.




It's pretty amazing to see how far the Playstation 3 has come since 2006, especially when you take a look at the exclusive games that launched back when the system was struggling. There were a few gems, but overall I mostly used my system to play PS2 games that I missed during the previous console generation. PS3 games like Haze and Lair fell very flat, but the original Resistance, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword garnered great reviews, and a couple of those games are still going strong today with a couple sequels.


Little Big Planet 2

So far, LBP2 has received an epic 93% review rating on Metacritc.com. If anyone was worried that this was only going to be a step-up above the original game, there's absolutely no reason to think that anymore. There are so many new additions to the series and it's resulted in some extremely creative work by the beta testers. LBP2 is going to be a game that gamers all around the world will remember for a very long time. It fully bridges the gap between developer and gamer.

Infamous 2

I'm really not sure there is quite enough hype out there for this sequel. Maybe it's just me, I'm not hearing much. Infamous 2 is being heavily overshadowed by the likes of Little Big Planet, Killzone, and Uncharted. However, there is still a lot of mystery behind Infamous 2 and what the gameplay will consist of. Sucker Punch has revealed that some popular questions will be answered this year.



"What will Cole’s powers be? How will your choices affect the game? What lies unseen in the city of New Marais? Your questions will be answered in 2011."

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

What could I possibly say to hype up a new Uncharted game more than it already is? Developer Naughty Dog took a huge leap over the original Uncharted with it's sequel, Uncharted 2: Among Theives. I'm sure we can expect the exact same thing with this third entry in the series. Just check out these videos! Here, and here.




Motorstorm: Apocalypse

So you got your new 3DTV, eh? Now what? Well you should consider picking up Motorstorm: Apocalypse this coming spring because it will fully support stereoscopic 3D. Even if you're not completely up to date with the 3D technology-ness, Evolution Studios have release all kinds of juicy info on the game so far. This adrenaline-fueled racer will be supported with plenty of DLC, a free demo, avatars, dynamic themes, full racer customization in the form of perks, Playstation Plus content, a photo mode, and new taunts and gestures. Here's a trailer for you to sink your teeth into.

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 2 is a sci-fi, action-rpg from Bioware, creators of Dragon Age. I'm still a bit curious to see how well this series will be received on the Playstation platform. ME2 released about a year ago for the XBox and personally, I did not expect that we'd ever see this popular franchise come over to Sony's end of the pool. But here we are, less than a couple weeks away from it's launch. This version of ME2 will contain all of the DLC released so far, as well as slightly enhanced visuals and some gameplay tweaks. The Official Playstation Magazine gave the game a perfect score, 10/10. So it seems the game was transferred brilliantly to the PS3.

Killzone 3

In Killzone 3, players once again take up the role of an ISA soldier and face the hostile Helghast army. I played quite a bit of Killzone 2 and the main thing that I found that sets it apart from the other shooters that I've played is how I don't feel like I'm a floating gun. I genuinely feel like I'm running, climbing, and - of course- shooting my way through the stages. With the sway of the gun and the camera, I really feel like I have a certain weight to my character. I know there were a lot of complainers out there that didn't particularly enjoy that aspect of the controls and camera, but personally, that's the number one reason why I enjoyed it so much. I really hope this type of realism sticks around for Killzone 3. So far, it looks stunningly beautiful. We've seen snow, water, giant mechs, jetpacks, and so much more.

DC Universe Online

I've already said so much about DCUO on this site already, I'm sure there isn't anything I forgot to mention. The beta had a few technical hiccups here and there, but most of them were sorted out very quickly, within a couple weeks. Therefore, I have extremely high hopes for this blend of action game and MMORPG. With it's large environments, instanced areas, role customization, visual appearance customization, enough collectibles to boggle the mind, and just about every DC super-hero you can think of, it better be awesome and is well supported!

Twisted Metal

David Jaffe, the brilliant mind behind the God of War series, gets behind the wheel of another one of his baby's, Twisted Metal. One of my favorite games of the PS1 era, this extreme car-combat series is finally getting a next-gen upgrade for the PS3. Recently, just before Christmas, David Jaffe answered some fan questions about this new Twisted Metal game. Check it out right here.


Team ICO HD Collection

It wasn't that long ago when forums were erupting with pleas for this HD collection to be made. Now, it's a reality and no longer a distant rumor. It's also being put together by the same group of developers that handled the creation of the God of War HD Collection, Blueprint. For the extreme gamers with those fancy 3DTV's, you're in luck. You'll be able to experience Shadow of the Colossus and Ico in full 3-dimensionalistic awesome. Yes spell-check, I realize that's not a word.




The Last Guardian

The Last Guardian is probably the head reason why we're even seeing a Team Ico HD Collection this year. They gotta get the new Sony fans up to date with how talented these developers really are. The Last Guardian looks to be about loyal companionship. A young boy is accompanied by a gryphon-like creature called Trico. These two seem to use teamwork in order to travel through atmospheric ruins while escaping enemy soldiers. That's pretty much all we know about the game so far. Not sure if I'm really hyped up for this one yet, but I'm sure once the release date begins closing in, my hype-o-meter will go up. I'm just dying to hear about all the gameplay details so I know what kind of game this is going to be.

Socom 4

Who doesn't like to shoot things? Socom has always been about the team tactics though, which is the best part of a real-to-life shooter, in my opinion. Socom 4 was delayed last year and it seems like that was the best thing for it. Socom 4 promises Move support, new characters with an all new storyline, and 32 player online (duh.) I'm not a huge FPS fan, but it's great to see the PS3 get so many high-quality exclusive shooters for the fans of Sony's machine. I've never been jealous of the Halo's, but it's finally nice to see the PS3 pumping out constantly great FPS titles that can go up against Microsoft's best.

Yakuza 4

I played a handful of hours into Yakuza 3 recently and can't wait to get back into it. There has just been so much going on with TV and gaming lately, I've had a hard time keeping up. I loved everything about Yakuza 3, and with Yakuza 4, from the trailers I've seen so far, we can expect some heavily enhanced visuals. Which is pretty much all the series needed in my opinion. Yakuza 4 looks to be awesome, it better get a western release date soon! It's always taken so long for the Yakuza games to get localized and finally release in the west. Here are a couple character specific trailers, here and here.

MLB: The Show 11 

Personally, I'm a National Hockey League fan. I love me some good hockey games. However, this PS3 exclusive is pretty popular for the baseball fans out there. MLB: The Show has always been an exception to the usual sports games routine of releasing a "new" and slightly enhanced iteration each and every year. The Metacritic review for last years game, MLB: The Show 10, is a kick-ass 90%. Seems like it was pretty awesome. If that is any indication of the quality and talent of the developer, SCEA San Diego Studios, then MLB: The Show 11 should be something very special indeed. 

Mortal Kombat

I remember getting the original Mortal Kombat for my SNES for Christmas one year, that's right, the version without all the blood. Within a couple months I had that game completely mastered. Memorized all the finishing moves and found all the secrets. I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game since but have been following the steady decline as it moved into the next-gen of gaming systems, again and again. What does this new version offer? Well... you can play as Kratos in the PS3 version. Here's a cinematic trailer. Certainly feels like the classic Mortal Kombat, doesn't it? Perhaps this is what the series needs to be popular again.

Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Staying with the fighting game theme on my list, here we have MvC3. I used to play MvC2 at a local convenience store when I was a teenager in high-school. Now I play it occasionally on my PS3 since MvC2 was released on the PSN Network last year. I'm not a huge fighting game fan, especially since games are so expensive nowadays. I just don't feel like they offer enough gameplay variety to justify a full-priced purchase. However, there are obviously a lot of fighting game fans out there. That new Street Fighter IV game did considerably well, Capcom even launched a rehash with new characters, which was cleverly renamed Super Street Fighter IV. There's definitely a big enough fan-base of fighter fans out there most likely aching for a new entry in the Marvel Vs Capcom series. The graphics look pretty, and the fighting looks flashy. I think we might have a winner on our hands. 

Playstation Move Heroes

Playstation Move Heroes features the likes of Jak, Daxter, Ratchet, Clank, Sly, and his sidekick Betley in what could potentially be the first must-have title specifically designed for the Playstation Move controller. This Move enabled platformer will play cooperatively as you take control of Sony's various Playstation mascots. Gameplay will focus on wielding five different weapon types - disc, whip, bowling, projectile and melee – all of which require unique Move motion controls to pull off.

Resistance 3

Resistance 3 takes place four long years after the conclusion of the last game. America has been completely lost to the alien race known as the Chimera, and it's up to you, Sentinel Joseph Capelli, to try and reclaim what is rightfully, well ...American. In addition to an epic single-player campaign, Resistance 3 will offer two-player online and split-screen co-op through the single-player campaign. The multiplayer experience will be progression based, like most shooters nowadays. Check out some official gameplay.



This list definitely was not an absolutely complete and perfect list, these are just some of the top-quality games that are on schedule to release within 2011. It's very likely that most - if not all - of these games will receive very high review scores. Making this year of 2011 a great and potentially epic year for PS3 owners everywhere. So go grab yourself one of those $299 PS3's before you come to realize that you just may have missed out on something very special here. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? It could bring down a rain of fiery disaster in the form of intense gamma radiation expelled from an exploding nearby star. So go nab yourself a new PS3 if you don't got one yet!  


7 comments:

  1. Are you working for PS3?

    Gotta love the commercials. I wish I could afford a PS3 now. I'd love to own The Show and the NHL game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Gonna nitpick something about Uncharted though. :P it technically wasn't a launch title. It came out 2007. Close enough though.

    And how you're looking forward to the weighty feel in KZ3, I believe I read they did in fact change that because of the whiners, perhaps it will just be a settings option would be my hope. I also loved how you felt like you were weighed down by your gear. Where as something like CoD you spin around so fast and can just stop on a dime.

    Did I tell you I found the original Mortal Kombat for Genesis at the good will for $2.99? That and Street Fighter II Championship Edition. Now I just need to get another Genesis.

    I need to get a car so I can get a second job and donate plasma so I can buy games this year :P. There are maybe 3 or 4 games on your list that I don't have much interest in, and all the others I really want . lol. Well we know two of them are happening for sure. So on that note I'll be seeing you in DCU and LBP2 in the coming weeks and always feel free to message me or start a chat.

    Oooh, just had an Idea. Why don't you do a weekly or monthly short video about releases that month? And you can use the PS Eye to record, edit, upload to youtube and embed it here. I know genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I meant to say.... Quit watching documentaries on Netflix... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Andy No, I do not work for Sony o.O Thanks for the comment. Hell yes the commercials are hilarious, finally some great ad campaigns from Sony, been awhile since they had anything decent. This Kevin Butler stuff is catching on. He even showed up at E3 last summer :D

    @Marc Dude, epic comment, thanks for that. Yes I know Uncharted came out a bit after, but it still was one of the first great games to grace the system back then.

    That would really suck if Guerilla tried to make it feel like every other shooter. I believe they should stick with what makes the game feel the way they want it to feel. Even if it was just in a setting somewhere, then the online wouldn't be balanced at all :P I loved the online in KZ2, I was actually really good at it.

    I should definitely be there for LBP2 and DCUO this month. I don't see anything stopping me from picking those both up on their release days :D

    I really don't know if I'm any good with video. I don't have that uber charisma one needs to put out videos. I may have to figure something out though hmm that is a genius idea. You feel like doing it for me as a donation? a contribution in making this site even better? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Marc about the documentaries, yeah yeah ... I wish Netflix had more, it's very limited on the topics I'm interested in. Had to download some torrents to find what I was really looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might possibly do that for you. Lol. I was kind of hoping you'd say that actually. Just give me a time limit for the video and help make sure I got a list of upcoming games for the month.

    And agreed with the Killzone business. I hope its not but I'm afraid I've heard otherwise. I know somebody buying it day one so I'll ask him how it is.

    And as for the Netflix, lol I was just messing with you because I know you'd been watching space documentaries and it slipped into your blog lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And to think that this is only a some of the big games coming out this year for the PS3. I noticed at late 2010 that 2011 was going to be the year of the Playstation. Nintendo and Microsoft don't have anything really big coming out for a while, besides Mass Effect 3 which will also be on the PS3.

    This list shows that the developers who take the time to work on the PS3 really know what it can do. Unlike Valve and the horribly laggy Orange Box back in 2007.

    I am really glad I got a new PS3 during the holidays. I hopefully plan to acquire most of these games that you showed here Bob. And if I am lucky, will be either playing with you or against you in DCU.

    ReplyDelete