Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thoughts / The Walking Dead

I've never been much of a fan of zombie themed movies. It's just something we've all seen done to death (pardon the pun) and it's all the same. The Walking Dead isn't any different than any of those movies though. Same old story really. Zombie people infest the earth, you get bitten or scratched and you eventually turn into one yourself, and you gotta shoot 'em in the head. Despite all the familiar zombie stuff, I really enjoyed the pilot episode. Namely because of the extremely awesome character development.


"The Walking Dead tells the story of the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse; it follows a small group of survivors traveling across the desolate United States in search of a new home away from the shuffling hordes of the undead. The group is led by Rick Grimes, who was a King County, Georgia sheriff's deputy in the old world. As their situation grows more and more grim, the group's desperation to survive pushes them to the brink of humanity. At every turn they are faced with unspeakable horrors, both from those who are dead, and from the scattered remains of a struggling human populace." - Wikipedia


The Walking Dead makes sure to take it's time with the story. After the first episode we still have a lot of questions, which makes sure that people come back next week to watch. Rick Grimes seems to be the main character of the show, although we do see some other survivors which include his family later on. He meets up with a man and his son living in a neighbors home and through them Rick is informed as to what's going on in the world. Zombies have taken over of course.

I'm not sure where the show will go but I have high hopes it'll take some serious twists and turns. Maybe all of this zombie apocalypse stuff is government caused, perhaps the virus was dug out of a trench in the arctic! or ...or maybe just simply a terrorist attack. Who knows? Anything could happen at this point I think. I just think back to Lost. We had survivors of a plane crash and a monster in the jungle. A little similar to the situation on The Walking Dead. Eventually we ended up getting time travel and the Dharma Initiative. All I'm saying is this show could go in any direction. I'm hoping for something unique and thought provoking.


The pilot episode did feel like a movie to me. Although I find that movies usually just jump into the action and skip all the important character development, which is why I prefer a great television show to a movie any day. It just felt so real to me and nothing felt fake or forced, like almost all zombie movies do in my opinion. I'm about to watch the second episode and I believe the first season is scheduled for just 6 episodes, which is okay by me. The next season has already been set for 13 more episodes. Hopefully this show keeps getting better. Not many new shows this fall are keeping my interest so far. The Walking Dead might be the one though.

6 comments:

  1. hey bob, is it on a channel i can get? sounds interesting and if you like it im sure it isnt your regular zombie movie or show. you got me interested now call and tell me when and where it is on. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was meaning to watch this halloween night which was it's premier date...however it slipped my mind but if it continues to be pretty good and since you said it's gonna only be 6 episodes perhaps i'll wait and watch it when it's done

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh by the way have you finished watching supernatural season 5? i know a little off topic haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, still in the middle of S5. It's pretty meh dude. Bobby is not acting like himself, and neither are either brother really. Especially Dean. Just doesn't feel like the Supernatural I was watching. Neither of those 3 are kick ass anymore, they just get fooled by some stupid monster every episode. Just to make something funny or seem more interesting. It's geared towards stupid people now I think :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, though ..if you like Fallout and stuff like that, check out The Walking Dead. I'm loving it so far, it's pretty terrifying imo. Very realistic

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah supernatural season 5 wasn't all that great really only 2-3 notable episodes :P

    ReplyDelete