Saturday, December 11, 2010
Spike VGA Announcements
Red Dead Redemption, of which I wrote a detailed article on, took home the award for "Game of the Year" tonight. Other notable winners were: Bioware for "Studio of the Year," Call of Duty: Black Ops for "Shooter of the Year," and Limbo for "Best Independent Game."
We also had lots of new trailers and announcements for the following:
- Kratos officially confirmed as a playable character in the new Mortal Kombat
- New Thor game got a May 3rd, 2011 release date
- New SSX game called Deadly Descents to be released sometime in 2011
- Some Gears of War reveal that seemed to be canceled at the last minute
- A game called Insane from the creators of Red Faction and Saints Row. Estimated release is 2013
- Forza Motorspot 4 for the end of 2011
- Prototype 2 (Was the first one really that well received? Hmmm) This one's set for 2012
- Sweet trailer for Batman: Arkham City. Apparently 5 times the size of Arkham Asylum.
- Mass Effect 3 showing up as a holiday 2011 release
- Resistance 3 gets a solid release date of September 6th, 2011. We finally see some gameplay.
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was talked about. Release date was said to be November 11th 2011
- Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception showed off an extended trailer. November 1st, 2011 release date.
- New trailer for Portal 2
- Deadliest Warrior: The Game
Nothing too mind blowing in my opinion, I wasn't expecting much though. Nice to see lots of Playstation stuff in there however, Uncharted, Resistance, and Kratos. We also get a special edition of Mass Effect 2 in January so I'm excited to try that out, and then see if I'll be excited for Mass Effect 3. I was also a fan of the SSX games on the PS2, let's hope EA can make an excellent snowboarding arcade-style game.
EDIT: According to IGN, Mass Effect 3 will launch simultaneously on both XBox 360 and PS3