Friday, July 30, 2010

Thoughts / Smallville

After spending some time thinking about it, I decided to write my very first article on Smallville, a show that was very important to me for many years. It was also the first television show that I would make plans to watch at a specific day and time each and every week it was on. Until the dreaded summer break where I'd buy the DVD's to give out to my friends and family in hopes of converting more viewers. Something I still do to this day with other shows that are currently keeping my interest. It was also a fairly easy show to follow so anyone could enjoy it without having to worry about rewatching episodes.


Some of Smallville's best moments were in season 1 and 2. Clark learning new powers was one of my favorite things about the show, you never knew if next week he was going to do something completely new. X-Ray vision, heat vision, his extreme hearing abilities. I even found it exciting when Clark uses his powers in new ways. Heat vision to melt bullets, anyone? I'm not going to touch on the relationship aspects of the show too much, I didn't watch the show to see if Chloe and Clark would hook up like I know a lot of people did. So putting that aside I want to talk about my favorite part of old school Smallville, Lionel and Lex Luthor. These two always stole the show in my opinion, I was so happy that Lionel was added as a regular to the cast for season 2. He made one hell of a villain and always found a way to push his son to his limits. I was always cheering for Lex hoping he would somehow come out a good guy in the end, even though that was technically impossible with the Superman story pretty much being already written, just changed a bit for the show. The chemistry Lionel and Lex had on screen was just awesome. Each and every scene was about those two trying to get the upper hand. Lex trying to get out from under the shadow of his father and create his own life. Good stuff.

Smallville will always have a special place in my heart, even though I stopped watching it around the 7th season. It moved too far away from the stories that I enjoyed in the first few seasons. The Lionel and Lex struggles, Clark discovering more powers, and even some of the relationship issues Lana and Clark were having. By season 6 and 7 all of those things had come and gone more or less. Lionel was becoming a good guy, Lex was already bad, and Clark and Lana had already been together, then apart, then together again I think. It was also then that executive producers and creators, Alfred Gough and Miles Miller decided to leave the show. Stating that it was "time to move on", and so I went my separate ways with the show, a show that opened me up to watching television... well, television that weren't cartoons. I was also getting older and although the characters were mostly aging with me (I had just got out of high school when I started watching in season 1) by this time in season 6 and 7 I could no longer relate to anything the characters were doing, especially coming from a small town myself, and the characters spending most of their time in Metropolis at this point. I would love to do a rewatch of at least the first 4 or 5 seasons, I'm a sucker for that feeling of nostalgia.

I have no idea what season Smallville is into now, but I do however know it is still going. I see commercials from time to time while I'm flicking around the channels. When I do get to that rewatch, I may keep going if it keeps my interest after a few seasons. I have up to the first six seasons on DVD and I've only watched the sixth season once and it was mostly meh. There are so many shows I'm watching or in the process of rewatching, True Blood, Lost, and Big Bang Theory are a few I'm currently watching almost daily. With the busy fall television schedule fast approaching who knows when I'll have time to go through Smallville though. Also, future articles will most likely be about shows that I'm still currently watching, or about shows I'm rewatching. Perhaps even about specific episodes, I have no idea as of yet. We'll just see what happens. Thanks for reading and please visit again.

14 comments:

  1. Hey! it's Brad :) cool blog...love to read more of your stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Thanks for commenting, I'll be writing more in the next few days. I still got lots of topics, lots and lots of games to write about, as well as TV shows, especially once the fall hits and we're watching more shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i think the only new show coming out this fall that i'll check out is hawaii 5-0 only cause jin is in it lol smallville is on it's 10th and final season,supernatural is going on it's 6th and fringe on it's 3rd. i might get back into watching V as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah V was pretty awesome I thought. Fringe will be good again too I'm sure. Don't know about Hawaii 5-0 hmm you'll hafta let me know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought V was alright in the beginning but i lost interest after a while...probably cause of the few other shows i was watching that came on during the same timeslot *shrug* anyways about Fringe...I've heard the writers are gonna try and split the show into sort of two shows told in the same episode... with each one focusing on Olivia & Co from one universe and the ones from the alternate universe??? i guess kinda like how in LOST *spoiler alert!!! lol* there seemed to be two seperate universes but in the end they were the same people just in one they were dead and the other living.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read your smallville article like 3-4x already lol it's like i wrote it myself :) i really think the writers should've wrapped things up either at the end of S5 or S6 and had been more creative in coming up with storylines in S6 that bulit upon earlier seasons instead of ruining a perfectly good show(perhaps not 100%) for what it was...i hope since the 10th season will be their last the writers will try and connect story elements from as far as S1 and make it seem planned though we both know that's bull :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great comments Brad, thanks. Kinda feeling blah today so I dunno if I'll write anything tonight like I was planning. It's also crazy hot in here today so that's probably contributing to the blahness. Next article will most likely be about Breaking Bad though, then probably some gaming related ones later. Probably about how gaming isn't anything like it used to be :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. So just finished reading your article and comments. I pretty much agree with you in every level, however I'm can't watch a show without seeing its conclusion and since like you said Smallville was the first show you started watching every episode of and on the day it airs it was the first for me in those regards as well. I also thought season 6 was meh, and season 7 and 8 were like wtf is going on. Imo however they've picked back up to being pretty decent through about the last half-3/4 of season 9. I'm hoping season 10 will be epic since it should be the last season. And as for your buddy Brad saying Supernatural is going to be on season 6... are they really bringing that back? It certainly felt like the ended though show with the last finale. I guess I need to look into it. I am excited for breaking bad to come back as season 3 had quite the cliff hanger. So apart from that I'm enjoying True Blood, I just need to download last nights episode. And I can't wait for the return of Kenny Fuckin Powers. Also Weeds is a good show, but sometimes they seem to lose what they were doing with the plot. Try checking out Carnivale as well. I think it only went two seasons but I'm sure you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Marc Thanks for commenting dude. I'll definitely be finishing the rest of Smallville someday, when it's all done and I can just blast through it from beginning to end. I also enjoyed Supernatural in the same way I did Smallville, it was good for the first bit (I own S1 and 2 on DVD) but around S4 it was meh, then got better ...then took a nose dive and I just can't bring myself to watch Paris Hilton in Supernatural :P Even if it was one episode. That was a brick wall for me. True Blood is pretty epic, it's weird at times ...but then blows my mind when someone randomly explodes suddenly or gets beheaded lol that show has some great shocking moments. I love the Vampire mythology stuff too, so many rules and royalty etc, good stuff. YES Kenny Powers better come back with a bang! Weeds eh? I tried watching one episode that my cousin gave me and I didn't think much of it, but I'd be open to trying it again someday. Don't think I've heard of Carnivale, synopsis?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carnivale is, eh, weird. It takes place during the depression era. Its basically a battle of good versus evil. Theres a kid who is a healer who can give life and such but has to take it from somewhere. Then there is the preacher who is evil and trying to convert people through "faith". Its really hard to explain. It does end on a cliffhanger but I've heard they stopped it because one of the main actors died. Also Prison Break was really good in the first season and the second season was ok. Third was good again imo and then the 4th it just seemed like they were grasping at straws to find a place to take the story. It was still ok sometimes but not great. Weeds you have to kind of watch a bunch of it for it to be good. I think season 2 was my favorite. Hmm maybe it was Season 3.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, I know its a kids cartoon, but I've been watching "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and have been enjoying that quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love Prison Break, totally forgot about that show. The first 2 seasons were epic, then ....meh and I lost interest. Yes! Last Airbender lol watched a few eps years ago and enjoyed it. Have you ever seen the anime Inuyasha? Me and my niece used to watch that like 4 years or so ago, I think she was like 6 lol I downloaded it for her but ended up loving it, we watched like the first 100 episodes. Great stuff imo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another thing about Smallville is I didn't realize that the current story line with the Kandorians is from the comics. I was browsing through some info online and discovered that. I guess it happened a little differently in the comics though of course. I think season 9 redeemed itself a little after a few of the earlier episodes and hope season 10 will really fix things being its the final season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yeah they've done the kandorians come to earth thing quite a few times in the comics over the many years of superman lore...yeah Season 10 should tie most things up or at least the important thing

    ReplyDelete